How to Setup a Peer-to-Peer Network Windows 10
If you are looking to set up a peer-to-peer network between two computers. Then this article is for you in which I have described the whole procedure.
However, there are many Softwares available to help you facilitate in making peer-to-peer networks. But you don’t need such apps because Windows 10 has this function available.
A Peer-to-peer or a P2P network is the one in which two or more computers can share files without requiring a separate server computer. You can connect multiple computers by this method and you can share the files between each computer.
A peer-to-peer network is designed in such a way that it partitions tasks and workloads between peers. A peer is a node or a PC which is involved in networking and provides the same functionality as the others.
If you have downloaded large files using a torrent, then you have used a peer-to-peer network. It distributes large files into multiple computers where each computer is connected and shares the data which makes it easy to download large files which include games, movies, etc.
How to Setup a Peer-to-Peer Network in Windows 10?
To establish a peer-to-peer network and to share files between two computers or more can be done by the procedure given below but you have to connect the computers with cables usually Ethernet or with the routers.
1. Turn on your PC, right-click on This PC, and from the options click on Properties.
2. If you have the 20H2 version or later, you will see the ‘About’ section opened in the Settings app.
3. From there, on the left side, under the Related settings heading, click on Advanced System Settings.
4. In the System Properties windows, in the Computer Name tab, click on the Change… button. The new dialog box appears.
5. If the network you want to connect has a domain then insert it, otherwise select the radio button of Workgroup and enter its name. Then, click on OK.
6. You’ll see a prompt for restarting your PC. So, restart it.
7. After rebooting the PC, open File Explorer which is named This PC.
8. From the left quick access, click on Network.
9. You will see a yellow bar. Right-click on it and select Turn on network discovery and file sharing.
10. You’ll see your computer and other computers listed. If the second computer is not listed turn on the network discovery and file sharing option in it.
In addition to the procedure given above, and to increase the probability of establishing a P2P network between two computers.
1. Open Control Panel, by searching for it from the Search bar.
2. Click on Network and Internet.
3. Now click on Network and Sharing Center.
4. If you attached both the computers with Ethernet cable. You’ll see your computer identifying the second computer.
5. Click on Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
6. Now, turn on all the Sharing options in the Private section. You can also turn on the options for other sections as well if you need to.
How to Share Files to the Other PC?
1. Go to the location where that folder or file is saved, which you want to share.
2. Right-click on that folder and hover over to ‘Give access to’ to reveal additional settings. Click on Specific people.
3. From the drop-down menu, select ‘Everyone’ and click on Add.
4. In the Permission level column, click on the arrow and select the Read/Write option for the Everyone group.
5. Then click on Share.
Now, your folder will be shared, and by using another PC with which you have fully established the P2P network will be able to access the shared folder.
How to Access Files on the Second PC?
By this method, you will be able to access the files and folders you shared from the first PC. If you get the same bar, dropping down in Networks then do the same procedure of selecting turn on the network discovery and file sharing option.
1. Go to another PC, create a peer-to-peer network.
2. After that, click on This PC.
3. Go to Networks in the left quick access menu.
4. You’ll have two PCs listed. One will be the current PC you are using and the second one will be the one in which you have done all the settings before.
5. Select the first PC and from there you can find the folders or files which were shared from the first PC.
Setting up a peer-to-peer network allows you to share your folders and files easily to another PC. It also helps you to send information to any other device.
This article described everything in detail that how to set up the P2P network and how to share and access the shared files. I tried to explain clearly so that you can do the whole procedure effortlessly.